Saturday, December 3, 2011

S.A.H.M

S.A.H.M = Stay At Home Mom

Being a mom is one of the hardest, rewarding and sometimes trying, job of ALL times.
If your a mother, than you can relate to these descriptions. Be it one child or 10 children, we have all at one time or another experienced late nights & early mornings, dirty kitchen floors, couches full of laundry, sinks full of dishes, naked children running about in hallways that rain cheerios, surprise illustrations in your most important documents, random hugs and kisses, first words and first steps that make you cry, a toy block being throw at your head...that will make you cry and the list continues. If your a S.A.H.M, then you know all of these trials, tribulations & celebrations, are a 24 hr thing, and for as much time as you spend making horrid faces a asking your self "how did you manage to do that?" you also smile with an overwhelming feeling of knowing your blessed to be in such a position.

Upon having a good friend over, i managed to 'power clean' my house in the wee hours of the morning (while our youngest daughter nursed and played, while protesting operation sleep) & if any of you have ever 'power cleaned,' you can easily relate. It's when you haven't cleaned your house in soooo long, right before they put the CONDEMNED sign on the front door,(well not that bad, but you get wheat i'm saying) you quickly scrub one room from top to bottom, and when your done, you loved the results so much, it  influences you to do the others :p. I was so proud of my accomplished cleanliness, that when she walked in i took her on a tour of my "ooh ohh, look what i did's". She laughed all while praising me. (she knows how hard it is, shes a working mom of 2 trying to reach the same goals ). We sat down and she handed me this letter than was passed down to her, and in return i hope you will pass this down to another S.A.H.M

A woman, renewing her drivers license, was asked by the woman at the Registry, to state her occupation.

She hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself.

"what i mean is", explained the woman at the Registry, "do  you have a job or are you just a..."

"Of coarse i have a job", snapped the woman

"I'M A MOM!"

"We don't list 'mom' as an occupation, 'housewife' covers it "
said the recorder emphatically.

I forgot all about her story, until one day i found myself in the same situation.

The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised, efficient,and possessed of a high sounding title like,'Official Interrogator' or 'City Registrar'.

"what is your Occupation" she probed.

What made me say it? i do not know. The words simply popped out.
"I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations"

The Clerk paused, ball point pen froze midair and looked up as though she had not heard right.

I repeated the title slowly emphasizing the most significant words. Then i stared with wonder as my pronouncement was written, in bold black ink on the official questionnaire.

"Might i ask" said the Clerk with new interest "just what do you do in your field?" 

Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice, i heard myself reply.

"I have a continuing program of research,
(what mother doesn't )
In the laboratory and in the field,
(normally i would have said indoors and out )
I'm working for my masters,
(first the lord & then my whole family)
And already have four credits
(all daughters)
Of coarse the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities
(any mother care to disagree?)
And i often work 14 hrs a day
(24 is more like it)
But the job is most challenging than most run -of-the-mill careers 
(its rewards are more of a satisfaction than just money)

There was an increasing note of respect in the clerks voice as she completed the form, stood up and personally ushered me to the door.

As i drove into our driveway, buoyed up from my glamorous new career, i was greeted by my lab assistants - ages 13, 7, and 5.
Upstairs i could here our new experimental model 
(6 month old baby) in the Child Developmental Program, testing out new vocal patterns.
I feel as if i had scored a beat on the bureaucracy!
and i had gone on the record as someone more distinguished and indispensable to mankind, than 'just another mom'

"MOTHERHOOD"

Such a glorious career, especially when there's a tittle on the door.

Does this make Grandmothers ' Senior Research Associates in the field of Child  Development and Human Relations? 
& Great Grandmothers executive Senior Research Associates?

 I THINK SO

It also makes aunts Associate Research Assistants.






No comments:

Post a Comment