Friday, February 17, 2012

Owl Moon


We started our week off, by going to a surprise destination. Upon hearing the words fall out of her little mouth, "are we lost? because iv'e never been on these streets before". I hesitated to answer her, as i knew we would be at our destination soon. The public library. Evelyn squealed in delight, followed by an immediate "shhhhhh, were supposed to be quite!" I just smiled at her, as we entered the library doors. I submitted my information and signed up for a library card. I then asked the woman at the desk, "what do we need to do to get this little one a card?" as if Evelyn's smile could already stretch no more, the woman answered, "All she needs to do is be able to write her first and last name." I thought Evelyn was going to go off like pack of illegal firecrackers. She whispers to me, "i know how to do that mummy". I look at the woman and we both smile, she passed Evelyn a form and has her sign on the dotted line, and again on the back of her very own library card :)


So excited she is! we hurry up stairs to the children's level and dig in to some great books. We picked out, 'why do i have to make my bed', 'Noisy Nora' and 'Owl Moon'. I really had my hopes on Owl Moon. Owl Moon was written by Jane Yolen and illustrated by John Schoenherr. John schoenherr happened to be a wonderful illustrator for many children's books and who went on to win Owl Moon the Caldecott Medal. I was lucky enough to get a little back round info on such a talented artist because i am blessed to be friends with his grand daughter Nyssa ♥. John Schoenherr unfortunately passed away April 8th 2010 and through his passing i was able to see his work as an artist and as a grandfather throughout photos that Nyssa so generously shares with me.
 A young John Schoenherr
 Holding his grand baby Nyssa
 Painting with Nyssa
Nyssa and her sister at her grandfather John Schoenherr's Book signing, 'Pigs in the Mud'.

Now having a little bit of a back round on Schoenherr, i was excited to possibly  have one of his books in my possession. To be able to share and appreciate such great art work and a little history of this book with one of my own children. After briefly looking for the book, i came up empty handed. I asked the clerk if she would look it up in her computer, and as soon as the words "Owl Moon" came out of my mouth she jumped right out of her chair and pulled the book from the shelf without a second glance, all while ranting and raving about what prestigious medal this book had won! In exchange i had explained to her how iv'e become friends with Schoenherr's grand daughter earlier in the years. I grabbed the book and Evelyn grabbed her pick's and we headed for the check out counter down stairs.


On our walk home, i started to explain to Evey the significance of this book. "Nyssa's grandpa was the illustrator of this book, and even made out a dedication to her"........
 And in the woods he hid her name :)
I read the book to her 2 times as she requested, and when i was done she went off on her own to look at the pictures. I'd like to say she was appreciating his art work :)
Evelyn found the dedications splendid, and found the description of the snow "white as milk" even better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment